Misc. Projects

 

Here’s catch-all page for projects that don’t fit into any other category, so it’s a little of this, a little of that.

 

Here is a bookcase that I made in March of 2002 for “she who must be obeyed”, to fit a specific location. It is made from pine, and finished with an antique maple stain and polyurethane. It was designed to hold specific books & such on specific shelves, so I used dado’s to hold the shelves in place (the dado set I got for my circular saw works very well for this sort of thing). The bookcase is 8l-1/4 inches tall, with 4 * 9-inch shelves, 1*7-inch shelf, and 2*5-inch shelves, with a 1-1/2 kickplate on the bottom. I shaped the sides to match the shelf width, and used a router to put an ogee bead along the outside edge of the sides. This is the first time I’ve poly’ed such a large project, and it was an interesting experience. I now know why the experts recommend finishing in a separate room from any dust-producing machines!

New bookcase

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here is a wooden pen and a penbox that I made earlier in 2002. The pen itself is birch (I think), and the box is some oak salvaged from skids. To make the box, I took a single slab of oak, shaped it into the triangular cross-section, sliced off the ends, cut it in half, cut a dado in the bottom half, and glued it all back together. The top and sides are glued together, and the bottom part is hinged to the sides using 1/8-inch dowels. No screws, no metal. The design is my own, created to provide a nice box for the wooden pens. It was an enjoyable project to figure out a design and how to manufacture it, but it’s a lot of work to make (not hard, just a lot of steps), so I don’t know how may more I’ll ever do. I can put up a detailed plan for it if anyone is interested.

Pen and penbox

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here is a pair of next end tables that I made for my Mom in 1999. They are made from solid oak, finished with Minwax Provincial stain.The challanges for me were the glued-up top, the tapered legs, and the tenon joints … all of which were a “first” for me. The design is based on a set of nesting tables from the book “Better Homes and Gardens Furniture Projects”.

Nesting end tables

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *